The Official Newspaper for
Marysville WA

November 1918

Volume XXVII Number 42 Friday, November 1, 1918
Official Paper of Marysville

An Endorsement by Senator Poindexter
Don't go to Seattle Without Your Mask
Elect a Republican Congress Nov. 5th
First Number of Lyceum Postponed
Food Saving Must Not be Abandoned
From Our Soldiers and Sailors "With the Colors"
Reduced Taxation Promised by Smout
Roll of Honor
The Seven War Work Activities Campaign


Type Names
death Allan, John A. Obituary: John A. Allan, the eldest son of Mr. and Mrs. Hugh Allan was born at Walker station, ten miles north of Marysville, May 1st 1890 and died at Marysville October 20th, 1918.
John Allan grew to manhood here and graduated from the Marysville High School, later attended the State College at Pullman some two and a half years. He was a civil engineer by profession and was employed by Snohomish county on road work for a number of years. His untimely death was a shock to the whole community.
The deceased was a member of the Odd Fellows fraternity, and the funeral held on October 23rd was attended by a large number of the members of that Order, county employees and friends, Interment was made in the I.O.O.F. cemetery, the grave being covered by a mass of beautiful floral offerings.
death Bruett, Leo S. Local and Personal: Leo S. Bruett, who had charge of the G. N. station in Marysville two years ago for a short time in Mr. Hansen's absence, died of influenza and pneumonia at Camp Johnston, Florida. He had become second lieutenant, having been in the service just a year. He was married in Anacortes in June, 1917. The remains were brought to Anacortes for burial.
death Michelson, Hannah Notice: estate of Hannah Michelson, deceased...Harry Michelson, executor...dated 1 Nov 1918.
death Zable, Frank Local and Personal: Mr. Frank Zable, formerly of Marysville, died at his home at Ritzville, Wash., Friday of heart trouble. Mr. Zable will be remembered as a member of the M. E. Church, well liked by all who knew him. He leaves to mourn his loss a wife and four daughters, two of whom, Mrs. Ed Nelson and Miss Lydia, live here. Miss Lydia left Saturday to attend the funeral
disease influenza Local and Personal: The epidemic of influenza has not hit Marysville very hard, and at last reports is abating. There are a good many cases of bad colds and grippe, with a few which are severe enough to be classed as the prevailing "flu". Dr. Munn informs us that he is ready to lift the quarantine as soon as other places such as Everett and Seattle find it feasible to do so.
Under date of Oct. 30, the Seattle Health Commissioner sends us the following notice to the newspapers:
All persons in the City of Seattle entering any store, street car, or elevator, or on any boat running into Seattle must wear a mask. Many people are coming to Seattle not provided with masks. The Red Cross is unable to supply the demand. Therefore, everyone coming to Seattle must be provided with his or her own mask or take the consequence of not being permitted to enter a street car, store, elevator or boat. As a matter of fact everyone should wear a mask whether he is in Seattle or not
T. D. Tuttle
Commissioner of Health
Mapes Mapes Local and Personal: Mr. and Mrs. S. B. Mapes received a message from St. Anthony's Hospital, Pocatello, Idaho that their daughter Catherine was suffering from pneumonia, and not expected to live. Mr. Mapes left the same evening for her bedside. Mrs. Mapes was still in bed with the influenza but improving.
move Scott, H. P. Local and Personal: Mr. and Mrs. H. P. Scott, and little daughter Helen of El Paso Texas, are expected in this city soon. Mr. Scott is on his way to New York from whence he will leave for Y.M.C.A. work overseas. He has been in charge of a Base Hospital at Fort Bliss Texas for the past year. Mrs. Scott and daughter will make their home with her mother, Mrs. Eva Beaman, until Mr. Scott's return.

Volume XXVII Number 43 Friday, November 8, 1918
Official Paper of Marysville

Increased Allowance of Sugar Welcome
Order Numbers for Sept. Registrants
Pacific Shipbuilders Break World Record
Phil Warnock Says Y.M.C.A. is all O.K.
Republican Carry, Nearly Everything
Victory Boys and Girls are at Work
Welfare Work Will Still be Carried on


Type Names
death Mapes, S. B. Local and Personal: Word was received Wednesday by Mrs. S. B. Mapes from her husband in Pocatello, Idaho, that their daughter, Mother Catherine. has died from pneumonia at St. Anthony's Hospital, where Mr. Mapes was called last week by her serious illness. The funeral will be held at Pocatello.
death Sullivan, son Local and Personal: The four-year-old son of Mr. and Mrs. Chas. Sullivan died at Seattle on Monday, Nov. 14 and was buried at the Odd Fellows Cemetery Wednesday, Rev. Alex Brady officiating. The boy was aged 4 years, 10 months and 12 days, and was a victim of the prevailing epidemic.

Volume XXVII Number 44 Friday, November 15, 1918
Official Paper of Marysville

From Our Soldiers and Sailors "With the Colors"
H.S. Boys and Girls Strafing the Kaiser
House and Senate Will be Republican
Schools, Churches and Movies Reopen
Senator Poindexter Urges all to Help
U.W.W. Campaign Meeting Success
World War Ended; Everybody Happy


Type Names
accident Raymond, Mrs. Chas. Local and Personal: On Wednesday forenoon shortly after 10 o'clock Mrs. Chas Raymond, in a spell of dizziness fell on the kitchen floor and broke her right leg above the knee. She was alone but with much difficulty and suffering dragged herself to the telephone and with the aid of chairs called help and Mr. Raymond was soon at home. Mr. and Mrs. W. S. Guy were summoned from Everett and were soon on hand with Dr. Caldbick, who set the fracture and at 2:30 came and took the sufferer to the Providence Hospital, where she is no doubt having the best of care.
death Mapes, Mr. S. R. (sic) Mapes returned Wednesday evening from Pocatello, Idaho, where he went to attend his daughter, Mother M. Catherine, who died of pneumonia at St. Anthony's Hospital on the 5th inst. The Pocatello Tribune has the following notice of the sad event:
Mother Catherine was the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. S. B. (sic) Mapes of Marysville, Washington and was born January 26, 1891, in Casco, Michigan. She resided in Washington with her parents for nearly seventeen years, and entered the novitiate of the Sisters of Mercy, seven years ago
Mother Catherine came here from Salt Lake with the community of Sisters of Mercy about two years ago and for the past few months had assisted Mother Ignatius in the managing of the office affairs of the Institution. She passed away following a short illness of a week.
The beloved Mother is survived by her parents, one sister, Mrs. G. R. Holmes of Bremerton, Washington, and two brothers, Archie of Seattle, and Charles, who is with the American Expeditionary Forces in France.
death Stanke, George George Stanke, son of Mr. and Mrs. Michael Stanke, was killed at the Northern Pacific Riverside station, Everett, at 10 p.m. Tuesday, being run down by a switch engine. He was hurriedly taken to the Everett Hospital, where he died within 30 minutes.
Besides the parents he leaves a sister, Miss Florence, who is a stenographer to Postmaster C. A. Cole, and two brothers L. E. and Walter Stanke, employed in Everett.
death Wompole, Robert James Robert James Wompole, eldest son of Mrs. A. Wompole of Everett, died at the Emergency hospital of pneumonia in Seattle where he was taken on the arrival of the Steamer, Victoria from St. Michaels, Alaska, with 400 others who are afflicted with the same malady. Robert with five others from this boat passed away Thursday evening Nov 7. Interment took place in Granite Falls in the family lot beside his brother. Robert lived with his grandfather for two years in Marysville and will be remembered by many.
The "flu" ban having been lifted Tuesday by Health Officer Dr. C. Munn, all the schools here and in the country opened on Wednesday morning after being closed for five weeks and one day. The night school also resumed sessions Wednesday evening.
Practically all activities of every kind were resumed, including church and lodge meetings and last, but not least, the moving picture houses. The Marysville theater opened Wednesday evening, with a good house, and will be opened this (Friday) evening, Saturday, Sunday, and next week Wednesday and Friday. The program has been somewhat disarranged, but as the Paramount pictures are being shown, one cannot fail to see something worth while.
divorce Schumacher, Richard and Dorothy Summons: Richard Schumacher, Plaintiff, vs. Dorothy Schumacher, Defendant. divorce grounds of cruelty and misconduct.
marriage Grannell, A. J. and Stahl, Rose Local and Personal: A marriage license was issued Wednesday at Everett for A. J. Grannell and Mrs. Rose Stahl of Marysville
move Lane, C. A. Local and Personal Mr. and Mrs. C. A. Lane and Mr. Lane's mother have returned from Seattle and will occupy the ranch at Norumtown for the winter. They don't like the noise and confusion of their Seattle home, and Mr. Lane contemplates seeking work in Everett.
The greatest piece of news in the history of the world was passed over the wire in the early hours of Monday morning, Nov. 11, reaching Seattle and Everett about 12:30 am. and almost immediately the whistles began to blow and the celebrating began and was kept up the remainder of the night, at least in Seattle and no doubt in all the larger cities through out the nation. In Marysville the word was received my the mills about 3 o'clock and their whistles were soon blowing till the entire town was awake.
Every mill shut down for the day and many of our people went to Everett where the Elks led a parade at 10 am and the L.L.L.L.'s at 1 pm. Every device for noise making was brought into use and it was the noisiest day ever know in Everett. What it was in Seattle and the eastern cities can hardly be imagined.
In Marysville noting was done till evening, when the desire to give vent to the over wrought feelings found expression in a procession staged by some of the Red Cross and Service League ladies who started out with tin pans, bells, and anything that would make a noise and gathered up a crowd that made the welkin ring over the main streets of our little city. Finally a bonfire was started and by its light some patriotic singing was indulged in until voices grew hoarse and feet grew tired.
It may seem silly for a lot of grownup people to indulge in such demonstrations, but it gets something out of the system that must find vent after such a strain as has been put upon the people during these heartbreaking times.

Volume XXVII Number 45 Friday, November 22, 1918
Official Paper of Marysville

From Our Soldiers and Sailors "With the Colors"
If You Did Not Receive a Label
Mrs. Bess Gearhart Morrison Here Nov. 25
Roll of Honor
School Notes
U.W.W. Campaign Was Great Success
Wedding Bells Ring at Deu Pree Home


Type Names
death Stanke, George Local and Personal: L. E. Stanke came home from San Francisco to attend his brother George's funeral, and will resume his work here for the present.
death Stanke, George Obituary: The funeral of George C. Stanke, who was killed by a switch engine at the Northern Pacific Riverside Station at Everett on the evening of Tuesday Nov. 12, was held at the Marysville Undertaking parlors Saturday last. Rev. E. C. Dunn of the Everett, United Presbyterian church, officiated, and the interment was at the Odd Fellows cemetery.
The pall-bearers were Frank McKinzie, Oscar Holmes, Peter Thompson, Leonard Magee, Paul Blankenship and David Holmes.
George Stanke was born in Monterey Center, Allegan county, Mich., June 25, 1885, and was therefore 33 years, 4 months, and 17 days old at the time of his death
He is survived by his parents Mr. and Mrs. Michael Stanke of Marysville, brothers Fred and Ralph of Aberdeen, L. E. of Marysville and sister, Florence of Everett, who were all present at the funeral
Deceased had many warm friends here and in many coast cities, where he had worked as a shingle weaver and was prominent in union circles. Friends were here from Vancouver, B. C., Aberdeen, Tacoma and Granite Falls to attend the funeral. Many beautiful floral offerings were in evidence.
marriage Workman, Bessie Pfaffle, E. H. WEDDING BELLS RING AT DEU PREE HOME
A beautiful home wedding took place on Nov. 16 at the home of Mr. and Mrs. J. E. Deu Pree, when their daughter, Miss Bessie J. Workman, was united in marriage to Mr. E. H. Pfaffle, of Council, Alaska. The ceremony was performed by Dr. Preston only immediate relatives of the bride being present.
Sergeant George L. Deu Pree of Camp Lewis was best man and Miss Minnie Workman bridesmaid. The bride's dress was made of white georgette crepe with pearl trimmings, and the groom wore the conventional black.
The happy couple left at 1 pm. by auto for Seattle, going from there to California, Iowa and Idaho to spend the winter. They will make their home in Council, Alaska, where the groom runs a general merchandise store.

Volume XXVII Number 46 Friday, November 29, 1918
Official Paper of Marysville

A Good Year's Work for the Red Cross
Caucus Nominates a Citizens' Ticket
First Entertainment Gives Satisfaction
From Our Soldiers and Sailors "With the Colors"
Marysville Boys Killed in Action
Pupils Hold Many Savings Stamp
Roll of Honor
School Fair Better Than Anticipated
School Plans Only Slightly Modified
W.L.N.S. Entertains Soldier and Sailors


Type Names
death Couroy, Sarah Local and Personal: Mrs. W. E. Buchanan was called last Friday to Seattle to attend the funeral of an old friend, Mrs. Sarah Couroy.
death Goodrich, Mrs. W. E. Local and Personal: Mr. and Mrs. J. D. Robinson went to Monroe to attend the funeral of a niece, Mrs. W. W. Goodrich, who died of pneumonia after a short illness.
death Woodburn, Sidney P. Notice: estate of Sidney P. Woodbury, deceased...Sarah H. Woodbury, Administrator, First publication 29 Nov 1918
death war Danner, Frank and Anderson, Benny MARYSVILLE BOYS KILLED IN ACTION
Two more Marysville boys have made the great sacrifice, according to messages received early this week. Frank Danner, who lived with his parents at Sunnyside was killed in action, but the date or circumstances are not yet known here. His parents, Mr. and Mrs. O. H. Danner, are now living east of the mountains. George Stanton, an uncle, lives a short distance east of Marysville
The other unfortunate boy was Benny Anderson, son of Mr. and Mrs. Lars Anderson, living north of the city. The official notice stated that he was "killed in action" Oct 9.
Benjamin N. Anderson was born in Marinette, Wis., May 24 1893, making him 25 years, 4 mos., and 25 days old. He leaves besides a father and mother, two sisters and three brothers to mourn his death.
He went with one of the first draft calls last year, so that he had doubtless seen considerable service.
It seems doubly sad, now that the war is over, to learn of these deaths when all seemed safe from war's dangers.
death war Weaver, Ralph Local and Personal: M. S. Weaver, living a few miles north of Marysville, has word from Kitchener, Ontario that a nephew, Lieut. Ralph Weaver, had been killed in action in France on Oct. 2nd. The young man entered the service the first year of the war, was wounded several times, and had been awarded the Military Cross

Introduction January February March April
May June July August September
October November December Snohomish Index

These pages were extracted and placed on line by Darilee Bednar
Supported by 3rd St. Book Exchange, Marysville WA
all rights reserved @2002, 2003, 2004, 2005