The Official Newspaper for
Marysville WA

March 1917

Volume XXVI Number 7 Friday, March 2, 1917
Official Paper of Marysville

The Making of a Man-o'-War's Man
Barrel of Alcohol and 7 Qts. Whiskey Found
District Meeting of Odd Fellows at Sultan
Eighty-two Autos Sold
Extra Early Potatoes
Grade Basket Ball Games
In Memoriam
Marysville Wins Both Games from Edmonds
Rebekahs and Odd Fellows Have Enjoyable Evening
Regular Meeting of M. I. Club Tuesday
Will Inaugurate a Traders or Market Day in Marysville


Type Names
accident horse Thoreson, T. E. Local and Personal: T. E. Thoreson, who was kicked by the knee by a horse two weeks ago, is able to hobble about the house on crutches.
birth McLaughlin, daughter Local and Personal: Born--On February 28 to Mr. and Mrs. Frank McLaughlin, a daughter
birthday Wood, Chas Local and Personal: Chas. Wood celebrated his seventieth birthday Tuesday by buying an new Ford car. He is a pioneer of Marysville and has seen the roads develop from a narrow pony trail to the present paved highways.
Armed with search warrants, Deputy Prosecuting Attorney Clifford Newton headed a searching party at Marysville Saturday. Accompanied by two deputy sheriffs, he was joined here by Marshal Powers and Attorney Gilmer. They searched Chas. DeStael's drug store and home. In the drug store they found two small bottles of alcohol and in a locked grip seven quart bottles of Bornbon (sic) whiskey. In the house, in the attic, they found a barrel containing 26 gallons of alcohol. The liquor was taken to Everett.
DeStael was arrested in Everett Tuesday, the warrant charging him with unlawfully selling 524 gallons of whiskey. He spent the night in jail and Wednesday morning was released after posting $500 cash bail. His bond was originally fixed at $1,000 but Judge Alston reduced it to $500. As DeStael is also out under $200 cash bond on appeal from conviction in justice court of a liquor law violation, he now has $700 cash deposited in court, guaranteeing his appearance.

Volume XXVI Number 8 Friday, March 9, 1917
Official Paper of Marysville

Will Inaugurate a Traders or Market Day in Marysville
Four Drowned in Auto Accident in deadwater Slough
Location of Postoffice to be Changed is Rumor
Rough Basket Ball But Games Fast Ones
School Election of the Usual Quiet Kind.
W.C.T.U. Institute to be Held Friday


Type Names
Four persons were drowned and four narrowly escaped when two autos crashed through the railing of the Deadwater slough bridge near Everett Sunday morning at 2 o'clock. This slough is the second water way coming from Everett, and is 15 or 20 feet deep
One of those who lost their lives was Miss Blanche Oliver, whose home is Marysville, but who was chief operator of the Independent Telephone Co. at Everett. She is 24 years old, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John Oliver of Sixth and Columbia street this city. The other three were Miss Rosena Landsley, telephone operator of Everett; Hugh Sidley and Mryon Liljenberg of Everett.
Four were injured and taken to hospitals suffering from exposure. They were: Miss Anna Kuhblank, James T. Love, E. W. Norgard and A. Solie, all of Everett.
James Love, driving a Ford touring car, had as companions Blanche Oliver, Rowena Landsley, Anna Kuhblank, E. W. Norgard and A. Solie. they were returning at 2 a.m. from a dance in Snohomish. Directly ahead of the Ford as it reached Deadwater slough, was an Abbott-Detriot machine, in which rode Myron Liljenberg and Hugh Sidley, returning to Everett from a dance in Marysville. In attempting to pass the Abbott-Detroit car, the Ford locked a wheel with the machine ahead, forcing it through the railing into the slough and dragging the Ford and its human freight into the depths after it.
An inquest was held by Coroner Maulsby Monday, which after hearing testimony rendered a verdict that the victims of the tragedy came to their deaths by drowning caused by an unavoidable accident. Testimony of J. T. Love and A. Solie, two of the young men rescued from the slough, and two eye-witnesses agreed that the larger car turned back into the middle of the road before the Ford car passed. Love who was driving the Ford, says the other car turned back toward the middle of the trestle, just as he was passing at about 15 miles an hour, and that their wheels locked, swing the two cars around. He said his left curtains were up and that he thought all were up on the other car.
Solie who sat in the rear seat of the Ford, on the left side, said that the party left Snohomish about 1:30 Sunday morning after the dance, and that he thought they were going about 15 miles an hour. He said they passed another car before trying to pass the one they hit. He said that Love signalled with his horn and that the car in front turned to the right, so that there was plenty of room to pass, but it turned back again. Both Solie and Love were sure the front wheels locked, and thought that both might have been in that condition. All said that no liquor had been used by the party. G. T. McCall and C. Mitchell were driving in a Buick car just behind the Ford when the accident happened. Their testimony was practically the same as that of Love and Solie.
The two young men in the Abott-Detroit car went straight to the bottom with their car and never rose till they were dragged to the surface with grappling hooks. It seems marvelous that four were saved from the Ford car, as the curtains were partly closed. The two young ladies drowned were no doubt unable to get out of the car before they became strangled.
The bodies were recovered shortly after daylight, the remains of Miss Oliver being brought to Marysville during the day.
Funeral services were held Thursday afternoon at 2 o'clock at the family residence in Marysville. Rev. Martinage of Everett, officiating. Interment was made in the family plot in I.O.O.F. cemetery.
move DeStael, Chas. Local and Personal: Chas. DeStael, proprietor of the Rex Drug Store has decided to ship his stock and fixtures to another field as soon as he is through with the impending trails. He has not yet decided on his new location.
of interest Local and Personal: To the Editor--That "smart Alec" who wrote the item in the Globe last week about a man named Wilson who comes over from Everett every Sunday to preach for the "babtist heraticks", is evidently "off his trolley.: The writer sometimes goes to the Baptist church and he has heard Wilson. He is certainly a fine talker and you can easily digest all he says. It will do you no harm to go and hear him --Rusticus

Volume XXVI Number 9 Friday, March 16, 1917
Official Paper of Marysville

W.C.T.U. Institute to be Held Friday
Basket Ball Season Nearly at an End
First Traders' Day Makes Good Showing
Marysville Out of the Championship
New Bridge to be Built at Deadwater Slough
Pacific Highway to be Completed in 2 Years
Railroad Strike May Commence Saturday
Senior Play to be Given March 23rd
The Murphy Home to be Modern and Roomy


Type Names
accident fire Hall Fair View: A bit of excitement took place at the Hall home Saturday morning when their house roof was discovered burning. Help came quickly however and the fire was speedily extinguished.
birth Palm, daughter Kellogg Marsh: Mr. and Mrs. Fred Palm are the parents of a little girl born last Thursday.
death Baumgartner, John Obituary: John Baumgartner passed away at his home in Marysville on Friday, March 9, death being caused by tuberculosis. He was about 47 years of age, a native of German, having been born at Altenswald, Baden, Feb. 9, 1870.
In the year 1891 he left his loving home accompanied by his brother Aloia now a lawyer of Portland, Oregon. He arrived at Seattle, and after a year went to Tulalip where for about six years he was at the Indian Mission School. He then made his home at Marysville where he resided up to the time of his death. In November, 1899, he was united in marriage to Creszentia Ruenzi, a native of his home town.
Deceased is survived by his wife and two children: Mary aged 16 and Andrew, aged 12, a brother in Portland, a brother in Detroit, and a brother and sister in Germany.
Services were held at St. Mary's Catholic church Monday, March 12, at 10 a.m., high mass being said by Rev. Father Wagner. Interment was at the Catholic cemetery.
death Pringle, Simeon S. Local and Personal: Mr. and Mrs. P. H. Powers attended the funeral of Simeon S. Pringle of Everett Tuesday. Death was caused by pneumonia.
disease measles Local and Personal: The epidemic of measles is about over in Marysville, very few new cases having appeared within the last week or two.
divorce Whiting, Ohse Local and Personal: Mrs. E. W. Ohse was granted a divorce in Judge Bell's Court on grounds of non-support. She was given her maiden name, Bertha Whiting. They were married two and one-half years and have no children.
move Kruse Local and Personal: Kruse Bros. left for their new home in Montana on Friday last, Mrs. Kruse and son Clarke staying over till Tuesday. Their address will be Oliver Gulch Montana. They are going onto an improved quarter section of land in a fine farming country, near Flathead Lake. Their many friends here wish them happiness and prosperity in their new home.

Volume XXVI Number 10 Friday, March 23, 1917
Official Paper of Marysville

Basket Ball Season End Victoriously
Bridge Tender Loses Life in Engine Room
Chance for Young Men Under New Law
Has Ordered New Dodge Touring Car
Marysville I.O.O.F. Visit Everett Lodge.
Musical Comedy Co. From Granite Falls
New Store Building for Farmers Supply Co.
Representatives of New Fish Concern in City


Type Names
Friday morning shortly after 9 o'clock our people were greatly shocked and grieved to learn that H. A. Jones, the drawbridge tender, had met with a fatal accident in the discharge of his duties in the engine room.
As no one witnessed the accident it is not known positively just how it happened, but it seems probable that Mr. Jones, after starting the engine discovered a spring loose near the piston rod, and he set the engine in the neutral and stepped over one shaft and leaned over another one to adjust the loose part when his clothing caught on a set screw and wound around the shaft throwing him forward so that his head was struck by the piston arm and pounded into a mass, while his clothing was torn completely from his body.
The conductor of the southbound 9:10 train, after waiting some time for the bridge to resume its turning got a boat and rowed out to the draw span and made the gruesome discovery.
The body was removed to the Marysville Undertaking rooms. Coroner Maulsby came and decided it was unnecessary to hold an inquest.
The unfortunate man had held the position for about three years, and had the reputation of being an expert engineer and a fine machinist. He was chief of the local fire company, and took great interest in the work of the department.
Deceased was born in Lima, Ohio, July 29th 1882. He leaves a wife and two small children and a mother who resides at Davenport, Wash. with two brothers and four sisters.
Rev. Richard Bushell of Seattle officiated at the services, which were held at the Undertaking parlors Monday afternoon with interment at the Odd Fellows cemetery.
death Gash, Julia Obituary: Mrs. Julia Gash, wife of Thomas Gash, died at her home at Stimson Crossing on Monday, March 19, aged 73 years. Funeral services were held at the Catholic church Wednesday morning. Rev. Father Wagner officiating. Interment was made in the Catholic cemetery. Besides the husband deceased leaves a daughter Mrs. Geo. Reeves.
death Stormo, Olans Obituary: Mr. Olans Stormo died Sunday, March 18, at the Northern State Hospital, aged 53 years. The remains were brought to Marysville where funeral arrangements are awaited.
disease measles Kellogg Marsh: Measles has again invaded Kellogg Marsh
move LaBelle, E. Local and Personal: S. G. Carter sold his bakery on Friday last to E. LaBelle of Ashland, Ore., who took possession at once. Mr. Carter has not decided on his future plans.
move McCorkindale, Allan Local and Personal: Allan McCorkindale has gone to British Columbia, where he has a position

Volume XXVI Number 11 Friday, March 30, 1917
Official Paper of Marysville

Canning Demonstration at High School Saturday
County Camp of M.W.A. Convens
District Meeting at Rebekahs at Edmonds
Marysville Postoffice to be Moved April 1
Measuring Social
Musical and Dramatic Entertainment
New Opportunity for Dairymen
Older Boys and Girls to Hold Conference
Thrift Gardens" to Fight H. C. L.
World Events of a Week


Type Names
Type Names
birth Munson, son Kellogg Marsh: Born to Mr. and Mrs. Mike Munson, Tuesday, March 27th a 13 1/2 lb boy.
disaster storm Violent Windstorm
Wednesday evening from 8 to 11 o'clock, the most violent windstorm, accompanied by rain, struck this section that has been known here for many years. On the hills a few miles east of town hundreds of trees were leveled to the ground, and no doubt we will hear of damage to barns and houses damaged. A fence at Allen Hill's place in town and two large trees near by were also blown down.
move Perkins, C. R. Local and Personal: C. R. Perkins, with his wife and two children, left yesterday for Brewster, Wash., where they will make their future home.

Introduction January February March April
May June July August September
October November December Snohomish Index

These pages were extracted and placed on line by Darilee Bednar
Supported by 3rd St. Book Exchange, Marysville WA
all rights reserved @2002, 2003, 2004, 2005